Wednesday, 23 January 2013

WIP

Today I am joining the amazing quilters over at Freshly Pieced for work in progress Wednesday.  The more I quilt, the more I can't wait for Wednesdays to come around so I can peek at all the beautiful projects.

This week I started my skill builder blocks.  I'm taking part in my first ever sew along.  Alyssa from Pile O' Fabrics seems to be a wonderful teacher.  This weeks block is called sound wave.
From this point of view the columns look a little wonky.  But they really are not!  I wish I could have gotten a better picture!


Just love these fabrics.  I have never used starch before and it seems that I may have over done it.  This block has a bit of dimpling from the starch but I do believe it will work itself out in the wash?!


I've had a fair amount of time to work on my husbands Any Way You Slice It quilt.  One more stack of blocks to go!  The colors are not bothering me as much as they were.  But you can see the difference between the fabrics I go for (such as above) and the fabrics a guy goes for (such as below)!


I have been thrifting for a while now.  I have dreams of making a buttery soft quilt out of vintage sheets.  Here is a peek at my stack.  I think I need a few more but this will hopefully be my next project.


And I wanted to ask for peoples opinions on the following tool.  I think it's very handy but are their other tools that work just as well or better?  It's definitely helping me with my lack of measuring abilities.  It has the wonderful notches where the rotary cutter is placed and then zip! it's done!



6 comments:

  1. I have the 12.5" square plastic cutting thingamajig with those same notches in the middle around a 6.5" square and I liked it... for a while. I started getting nicks in the plastic and then my rotary cutter would get stuck. Now I just use a cutting mat and skinny clear plastic ruler and I would never go back. That is just me though. Yours might be more durable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the vintage sheets but I never know where to find them :(. I'm not sure about the ruler since I always use my square ones....I could see them getting dented though. What do you cut with them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a similar ruler to cut the side of my pointer finger off! Was cutting 1.5 inch strips but to keep the ruler from sliding you have to keep moving your hand on the ruler and I got going and didn't realize that my finger was over the line I was going to cut in, now my pointer finger is extra pointy lol. Was told by a worker at my LQS that I wasn't the first person to do this so be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your sound wave block. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award, it's a chance to blog hop with other small blogs, if you're interested check out the details on my blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your idea with using the vintage sheets sounds nice- I can imagine how soft to the touch they are.

    ReplyDelete