Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Sewing frustrations!

Usually sewing provides me a sense of calm in a crazy life with two little kids.  This weekend was nothing but calm.  In fact, I think there may have been a tantrum or two thrown by someone other than the kids!  Wink, wink! 

So I guess we'll start with the bad.  I decided that it was time to learn to sew clothing for myself.  Mmm...might have been a bad idea.  I started with the Washi dress from Rae.  First of all I've decided I'm not a fan of printing patterns at home.  Oh dear does that take a long time to tape the pieces together.  And then when they are together, one toddler or another decides to rip the pattern apart.  What fun! 

Don't mind the stray threads
The dress looks fine, I took my measurements and thought I picked the right size but my goodness I cannot get this darn thing to fit!  I think I did a pretty decent job with the darts and love the armhole binding.
 
 
I remade the bodice twice because I wanted to do a full bust adjustment, which I think I did correctly.  However, I now think I'm going to give up on this dress.  Yes, hate is a strong word...but I think it describes just how I feel about this dress!
 
Can't even get the pockets in correctly!  Argh!
 
I quickly moved on to something a little less frustrating.  I've always wanted a wonky star quilt.  I thought they would be difficult to piece.  To my amazement they are super easy.  I guess I won't give up entirely on sewing!
 




Underneath is a block that I had sewn for a BOM, but decided that I wouldn't like it in a quilt so I'll be making most of the BOMs into pillows instead.


Wow the colors in the last two shots are not accurate, must be the dreary weather.
This is going to be my patchwork summer bag for carrying all things kid related.  Hopefully to and from the beach and lake if the weather starts cooperating.

And finally a shot of cuteness,

My sweet little sewing buddy!

19 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the dress - sometimes projects don't work out - you know that from reading about my multiple sewing failures! Fitting is the most difficult part of sewing and in my ongoing sewing survey, its an area where lots of readers are asking for help. I'll be working on a series of tutorials - once I can sort out how to do it better myself.....Deby at so-sew-easy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I think fidgeting with a fit is possibly the hardest thing I've done sewing wise. I would love a tutorial!

      Delete
  2. Fit is the major reason I gave up on sewing clothes, which I did between the age of 11 and some time in my early 40s. The secondary reason was that I sewed to save money, and you don't save money these days sewing clothes. The third reason was that I discovered I enjoyed buying clothes once I actually let myself do that.

    I quilt because it is a creative outlet, and it looks like you do as well. I love your wonkly star. I haven't tried that yet, but it is on my "list" of improvisation techniques I'd like to do something with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll probably stick with quilting too! Creative and in my opinion so much easier!

      Delete
  3. clothing sewing scares me! I love the start of your bag with the zebra.
    Amandak@whatthebobbin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I've been saving that zebra forever!

      Delete
  4. So much easier to make quilts to fit than dresses ;-) It's too bad it didn't work out–it would have been such a pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason, you are not suppose to sew for a full bust. I know the problem well. The up side of garment sewing is that it makes some of the quilting go much better, as you apply what you learned in garment sewing.
    I like your wonky star block. I just made one and they are such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting how that works...I've noticed that garment sewing and quilting teach me different things that are each useful within the other. I may just give up on garments for now though!

      Delete
  6. I have to agree with Sophie....I'm useless with clothes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quilts are a one size fits all type of deal. I sometimes make cloths for my kids, but I haven't made anything for myself in ages. The dress is very pretty though. You did a good job on it. Too bad it doesn't fit you.

    beaniekins84(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to sew for my kids. They don't have any curves to worry about!

      Delete
  8. I might be able to help you with the fitting! Would you be willing to put it on and send me a photo, front back and side? My tailoring life might be useful after all. I will look at it and see if you can rescue it. It is worth a shot. Would love to see it work out. Such a pretty red with the black armholes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give it a shot! One side of the dress is not even sewn together yet though.

      Delete
  9. Love your helper! Mine likes to take out all the zippers and unzip and rezip them.
    I just made a Washi muslin, did the FBA a different way than what Rae links to, and while it works, the dart is not right. I figure it will do for a nightgown. Now to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dressmaking is definitely a new frontier! I just downloaded the Geranium Dress for my little sewing helpers and I must admit the thought of having to stick the pattern together is putting me off a little. I love you wonky star!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Just found you through the Needle and Thread Network and I live in Dartmouth. Will have to stick around and nose through the rest of your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to sew a lot of my own clothes when i was younger, now... not at all. I keep attempting to sew clothes for my kids and it never works... i have at least a half dozen projects started for them that i just keep tossing aside!
    Your star block is great, i love wonky stars!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If a project is just too frustrating and not working and needs lots of redoing, I feel the same too!

    ReplyDelete