Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Her Quilt Story

My older daughter Hazel is just four years old.  She's a very confident little girl, believing in her abilities 100%.  So when she said she wanted to start sewing "like mummy" I understood what she meant was, "I want to use the sewing machine and I know how!"

While I was recently working on a quilt she was sitting on the floor with a scrap of batting she had found and was digging through my quilting scraps looking for the perfect pieces..she was also fighting her little sister off who also wanted to "help."  But that's a story for another day.

This is how her quilt started.  Testing out various pieces.


Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any pictures of her sewing since she was sitting on my lap.  We did a good job to keep all her little fingers intact.  I ran the foot pedal and she did guide the fabric through the machine.

Her end result is pretty adorable I would say!  She's so proud!


And from what I hear, her dollies love their new quilt!



 
All week this has been 'the thing' to play with.  There have been many fights between Ms. 2 year old and Hazel.  So last night I quickly made another in about 15 minutes!
 
 
I think we have many more sewing dates in our future.  This mama could not be happier!

19 comments:

  1. Oh what fun! It's a very good doll quilt. I love her color choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! her dolls will have it worn out in not time!

      Delete
  2. How cute! My son is 3.5 and occasionally wants to sew something--he's always terribly proud of it and shows everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh they want to do so much at this age don't they?

      Delete
  3. Hazel, your quilt is amazing! So beautiful and you have picked lovely colours! You will be a famous quilter! Sunny wishes from Greece! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think she blushed a bit when i read your comment to her! thank you!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. thanks! she's enjoyed all of the comments!

      Delete
  5. love the colors and it is a beautiful little blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think she has an eye for color! thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. It is wonderful to see kids enjoying the craft!

    ReplyDelete
  7. never to young to learn.....here's proof!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter is a natural! The colors she picked are perfect and they are placed really well too! What a cutie she is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a gorgeous memory :) My daughters are 16 and 13 now and I so wish I'd had a blog when they were little to document all these lovely times. Love the mini-quilts :) K

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww, that is so cute!

    my daughter also wants to use the sewing machine. we op-shopped a toy one but she's not having it, she "really" wants to sew. might start with the bodkin and some wide cross stitch fabric though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! And what beautiful memories you are making. I remember making little clothes for my dolls while my Mum sewed. We'd get scraps and cut two holes in them and slip them over their arms and think we were the bees knees! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good idea! She could handle clothes making like that!

      Delete
  12. Thats adorable and fantastic that she got to try her hand at doing what you do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to start doing this with my kids. They have the interest, I just don't have the patience.

    ReplyDelete