Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Works in Progress

The weather is cooling off.  My recent post suggested that it is so, summer is coming to an end.  One nice thing resulting from it is the fact that creating/sewing is easier to do once it's cooler. Some of my current projects include:


This block is called Lost At Sea.  I've never done a block like this before.  I like to do most sewing on the spur of a moment.  Whatever strikes me as fun is how I sew.  So this block was different for me.  It's going to be the center of a medallion quilt.  All the lovely Marcelle Medallions I've seen on the internet have given me the push to try my own version.  But since I don't really like to follow directions I'm putting together my own medallion quilt.



 A while ago I joined a block swap.  My month isn't until November but I had decided on my design long ago.  Everyone is to complete a 14" block with some sort of house design on it.  This is one that I designed.  I have already received three in the mail and they are adorable!


 August's Bee member picked a five sided block, using any colors/scraps of our choosing.  I hope she likes things bright!


I started these geese a while ago, just for fun but I think these will be my first border for the medallion quilt.


And finally this bundle of baby clothes...they were about to make their way to Goodwill but I just couldn't part with them.  So I'm going to put them together as quilts for my daughters.  They'll have to be mini quilts, I think.  The girls are still little so they haven't outgrown too many years worth of clothes to add to a quilt!  :)


I think that's it for today!  I'm liking up with Better Off Thread, Quilt Story and Freshly Pieced! 

Hopefully I'll see you back here soon!

12 comments:

  1. Love your house block-- what a great swap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should clean the threads off my blocks before posting pics! LOL

      Delete
  2. You've been busy! I like the house block, and love the idea of bee members all doing a house of their choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun bee...I've never been in one before, it's actually exciting!

      Delete
  3. love the squares, you have a talent for color and piecing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know about that, but thanks!

      Delete
  4. what a great start to your medallion quilt and i love that pentagon bee block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Pentagon, right! Sounds better than five sided...lol!

      Delete
  5. What a darling little house block. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That storm at sea block is going to be so great as the center of your medallion quilt! I really want to make both a storm at sea quilt and a medallion quilt (though I'm more like you and would just make it up as I went along, and I'd call it a mandala quilt, seems more fitting)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the starting block for your medallion, i felt the same way with mine... i liked all the Marcelle's out there but i wanted to fly by the seat of my pants!
    And your house block is so cute, i love that little dear fabric!
    Hoping to get started on my house block for you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet house block! Gotta love deer on the lawn! :)

    ReplyDelete