Monday, 16 December 2013

A Christmas Finish

I worked hard this weekend to quilt and bind a quilt for Christmas.  As I had said before, my niece is heading off to college this fall.  She and I are very close, and I feel I've had a big part in raising her.  It's not often that I feel my quilting skills are good enough to give as gifts.  But Madison has always taken an interest in my sewing and I know she will love a quilt for her dorm room.

She loves pink, so pink she gets.  However, I wanted to make it a little edgier so added some slashes of gray.  The quilting is definitely organic in nature.  A quilt this size is still difficult for me to push through my machine.
 The backing is unbelievably cozy.  I had heard that this material was really difficult to quilt but it wasn't too bad, a bit of puckering but I'm satisfied.
The binding was a little difficult.  I always find binding to be difficult though.  I think I tend to make it a little too narrow and then run into trouble. 
 
My four year old saw it (and cuddled with it).  She's hoping it's going to be hers.  I didn't think she cared that much about handmade quilts!  She's made me promise that I will make one exactly like this.  I hate making things twice!

This quilt measures at about 72in. by 48in.  I used a low loft batting and it has a wonderful weight to it.  I love it and so very much wish we could keep it to cozy up under for the winter ahead but it will be appreciated.

One more Christmas gift off the list and just one to go, I think! 

12 comments:

  1. I love the gray touches! Im sure she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is gorgeous!! love the pinks and the piecing is truly a work of art :) The outside photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fantastic! It will definitely brighten up her dorm room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! The colors are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the greatest compliment when someone wants one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really lovely, great work! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful combination of fabrics. Maybe you could mix it up a bit for the second version; that way it wouldn't be identical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure this quilt will get lots of use and snuggles. Your quilting looks great! Organic lines meand it is handmade and stitched with love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really pretty colors and pattern (and I am Not a pink girl)! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Nice! I am sure she will love it. So special.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the grey slashes! It adds a lot of interest and variation to the squares. It's a lovely gift, I bet your niece will treasure it for a long, long time!

    ReplyDelete