Thursday, 12 December 2013

Advent Events

Growing up I always had an advent calendar.  Marking down the days until the most exciting day of all.  It usually had a piece of chocolate hidden behind a little door for each day that was opened.  I ate the chocolate quickly and got back to what I was doing.

My girls are just little but I wanted to do something more meaningful.  This year we made red and green links out of construction paper, like a garland to be hung on the tree.  Each link has an event of some sort written on it.  Some of the events are charitable acts and some are just cosy things for the four of us to do together.  Here's a look at what we've been up to so far:






(The pictures are super bad quality, as I left my camera behind at Thanksgiving time and can't get it until Christmas)
 
So far the girls have been loving this kind of advent.  As far as charity/pay it forward events so far we've put money in the Salvation Army kettle and made a special shopping trip for shelter groceries.  We also bought a 4 year old some Christmas gifts.  My four year old had a really hard time understanding why we were buying toys for another child and why she herself was not allowed to have them.
 
But I have a feeling this will become a tradition and will teach us all a bit about giving, loving another and the true meaning of Christmas!
 
Not many days left in the calendar here are a few events coming up:
  • Mama and Daddy celebrate together.  The girls make Christmas crafts with the babysitter!  (My favorite!)
  • Read any Christmas books of your choice.
  • Make peanut butter/seed ornaments for the birds.
  • Drive to see the Christmas decorations, all while drinking hot cocoa.
  • Make cards and decorations for our elderly neighbors.

Do you follow an advent calendar?  I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tradition to start. I remember my Mom sending the chocolate calendars to my kids. :) Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Merry Christmas to you as well!

      Delete