Wednesday, 22 January 2014

WIP

It's been a while since I've done a WIP post.  I've been sewing a bit more than usual because it's been so cold out, I'm keeping us indoors as much as possible.  And I've also heard that the number of stomach bugs and colds/fevers going around is staggering.  So sewing it is!

I've been working on some bee blocks.  I'm in the Stash Bee for the first time and I'm finding myself a bit overwhelmed.  I don't follow patterns often and I'm also finding that my scant quarter inch is a bit off.  I blame it on my old machine but maybe it's just me.  Feeling a little inadequate!  Here is the first block I made:

 
 
My real problem here is the seem allowance, I think.  The center geese just wouldn't line up!  I like the fast flying geese tutorial.  It was fantastic but I also feel that something was off when I was cutting those flying geese. 

 
This second attempt is slightly better.  I gave it a second go because I thought I would definitely get it the second time, but not so.  I'm now done! 

Moving on to a more exciting topic.  We're going on vacation next Friday!  Mexico for ten days.  So of course I need new summer clothes.  But the stores don't stock summer things this early.  So I thought I would whip up a few tops.  I love the first one but it's a bit too much like pajamas.  I used fabric from my stash so maybe just a bit too pink and glittery!  But I'll wear it! 
 

 
Excuse the phone pic...too lazy to get the "real" camera.
It's a great fit.  I made the large version, which was much too large and had to take in the sides.  The only thing I change is the facing for the armholes.  I didn't use any.  I had it sewn on and it looked bulky.  So I removed the facing and rolled the fabric as it wanted to do anyhow.  I just need to hem it and it's ready to go!
 
 
I haven't used a See & Sew pattern before but it looks really easy and was super cheap!  This blue t-shirt material is so soft. 
 
Now I need to get back to the bee block that I'm late on!  



4 comments:

  1. That top is so cute! Have fun somewhere WARM!! I'm sewing my block tomorrow, so you're not the only one not quite done ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the yellow and black! That's a great block pattern!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people have been using the Loc a bloc ruler or Bloc a Loc I heard it is reallly helpful. I, myself don't have one, but I am itching to try it now!

    Your tank top is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the top you have made! That pink sparkly fabric will look so right when you get to your warm sunny destination. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete